IT ALL STARTED 8 YEARS AGO...
…with homemade laundry detergent…
A marriage, 2 kids, and oodles of animals later, we are full-fledged homesteaders, always eager to learn and do more.
So, what do we do that makes us homesteaders?
- We raise egg-laying chickens, meat chickens, and turkeys.
- We have a huge garden, grow a wide variety of fruits and veggies, & can or freeze our fresh produce.
- We have a large blueberry patch.
- We have a vineyard.
- We have the beginnings of an orchard with pear, apple, & peach trees.
- We have a pathetic raspberry patch that is in dire need of help… & friends! (:
- We have wild blackberries at the edge of our woods.
- We harvest venison & small game in the nearby state game lands.
- We dream of raising cattle & pigs.
- We (still) make our own laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent.
- We use dryer balls instead of dryer sheets or fabric softener, & plan to install a clotheslines in the spring.
- We make our own soap, shampoo, conditioner, & body wash.
- We make our own make-up, deodorant, perfume, lotion, lip balm, toothpaste, & teeth whitener.
- We use family cloth, mama cloth, the diva cup, cloth napkins, & cloth tissues.
- We only use glass, stainless steel, or cast iron in the kitchen.
- We cook from scratch as much as possible.
- We make our own cleaning products.
- We reduce, reuse, and recycle.
Homesteading is a way of life, a frame of mind. It's all about being more self-sufficient.
But it wasn't always that way...
While we do and make A LOT, please know that it has taken us 9 years to get to this point…
We didn’t just wake up one day and change every aspect of our lives…
It has taken us a longggggg time…
and YOU can be a “homesteader” by just doing 1 or 2 of these things^.
Enter: The Holistic Homesteader
We Are the Place to Learn to Homestead
Our goal is to show you everything we do around the homestead: removing toxins from your mind, body, & home, self-sufficiency, growing food, frugal living, from-scratch cooking and recipes, self-sufficiency, DIY’ing, going off the grid, raising animals, prepping, tips, tricks, our successes, and probably lots of failures, too.
Over time, I have become increasingly holistic, recognizing the ability of plants to heal the mind, body, and soul.
I created The Holistic Homesteader as a way to share my knowledge and experience with you!
Let me help you live a less-toxic life.