IT ALL STARTED 9 YEARS AGO...
…with homemade laundry detergent…
A marriage, 2 kids, and oodles of animals later, I am a full-fledged homesteader, always eager to learn and do more.
So, what do I (which is actually WE because everything I do is with my husband and kiddos) do that makes me a “homesteader”?
- We raise egg-laying chickens, meat chickens, and turkeys.
- We have a huge garden, grow a wide variety of fruits and veggies, & can or freeze our fresh produce.
- We have a large blueberry patch.
- We have a vineyard.
- We have the beginnings of an orchard with pear, apple, & peach trees.
- We have a tiny raspberry patch that is in dire need of help… & friends! (:
- We have wild blackberries intermingled with our blueberries.
- We harvest venison & small game in the nearby state game lands.
- We dream of raising cattle & pigs.
- We (still) make our own laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent.
- We use dryer balls instead of dryer sheets or fabric softener, & plan to install a clotheslines in the spring.
- We make our own soap, shampoo, conditioner, & body wash.
- We make our own make-up, deodorant, perfume, lotion, lip balm, toothpaste, & teeth whitener.
- We use family cloth, mama cloth, the diva cup, cloth napkins, & cloth tissues.
- We only use glass, stainless steel, or cast iron in the kitchen.
- We cook from scratch as much as possible.
- We make our own cleaning products.
- We reduce, reuse, and recycle.
Homesteading is a way of life, a frame of mind. It's all about being more self-sufficient.
But it wasn't always that way...
While we do and make A LOT, please know that it has taken us 9 years to get to this point…
We didn’t just wake up one day and change every aspect of our lives…
It has taken us a longggggg time…
and YOU can be a “homesteader” by just doing 1 or 2 of these things^.
Enter: The Holistic Homesteader
The Place to Learn to Homestead
My goal is to show you everything we do around the homestead: removing toxins from our minds, bodies, & home; how to be more self-sufficient; growing our own food; living more frugally; cooking from scratch with my favorite recipes; DIY’ing homestead projects; raising animals; prepping; tips; tricks; our successes; probably lots of our failures; and a whole LOT of winging it, too!
Hey! I’m Allison.
I am a green-thumb, enneagram 1w2, hippie, music and photography lover, writer, and desperate for world travel.
I’m just a lone chicka (not a large company or a robot) sharing what I do with my family on our homestead in Pennsylvania.
It might not be the right way to homestead, but it’s our way.
Read along with my blog: it’s where I share detailed instructions and recipes for the projects, remedies, and foods we’ve recently created.
Buy my homemade goods (or maybe one of my photographs): I create everything in small batches using only high quality oils, waxes, and botanicals.
Over time, I have become increasingly holistic, recognizing the ability of plants to heal the mind, body, and soul.
I created The Holistic Homesteader as a way to share my knowledge and experience with you!
Let me help you live a less-toxic life.