Ready to detox your life? Not sure where to start? Want a little help with the process? I got you!
Follow along with my 7 day “Ditch It” challenge.
If you missed Day 1: Ditching Plastic Cooking Utensils, check it out here.
If you missed Day 2: Ditching Dryer Sheets, check it out here.
Day 3: Ditching Scented Candles, can be found here.
If you missed Day 4: Ditching Nail Polish, it can be found here.
Each day I will tell you what item to ditch, why you should ditch it, AND what you can replace it with. Sound good?
Detox Your Life: “Ditch It” Day 5
Ditch Your Air Freshener
I remember when I was growing up, air freshener was the norm. We had it in the bathroom to cover our poo stank. My mom laid it on heavy to cover the smell of her and my dad’s cigs. A pine tree hung from the rear view mirror of our car. Potpourri was in dishes all over the house. Those plug in things were here and there.
I really don’t know how I made it out alive!
Now that I am a home owner, my life couldn’t be more different. Here are the reasons I ditched air freshener and why I hope you will, too.
Why You Should Ditch Air Freshener
- Most air fresheners use phthalates, the same phthalates that are used to make plastics, paints, pesticides, cosmetics, and fragrances.
- Even trace amounts of phthalates disrupt hormones, especially in males, and exposure is known to cause reproductive issues, cancer, and birth defects.
- Small doses of phthalates also cause respiratory problems like asthma, and allergic reactions.
- Scientists have also begun looking at the impact of phthalates on people’s liver and kidneys.
- Like nail polish, air fresheners are often made with formaldehyde, which is known to cause cancer and respiratory problems.
What To Use Instead
- Open your windows, ventilate your house (or car), and smell that fresh air!
- If you must have fragrant home, put a pot of water on to boil and add some citrus peels, cinnamon, etc. Or bake a batch of homemade cookies!
- Ditch all of your air fresheners in the home and in the car- this includes sprays, aerosols, plug-ins, trees that hang on the rear view mirror, vent plug-ins, etc.
Good deal! You’ve made it through Day 5 of my 7 day Detox Your Life “Ditch It” Challenge. Join me soon for Day 6! Comment below to let me know that you’ve joined the challenge!
Did you enjoy this post? Please pin this image ↓
Happy Homesteading! (:
P.S. have any thoughts or questions? Tell me all the things in the comments! Also, contact us if you’d like to collab!