Ready to detox your life? Not sure where to start? Want a little help with the process? I got you!
Follow along with my 7 day “Ditch It” challenge.
If you missed Day 4: Ditching Nail Polish, it can be found here.
Each day I will tell you what item to ditch, why you should ditch it, AND what you can replace it with. Sound good?
Detox Your Life: “Ditch It” Day 7
Ditch Your Teflon Pans
I remember watching my mom cook hamburger in a giant non-stick pan when I was probably 10-years-old. She’d use a metal spatula to break the meat apart and a metal spoon to serve the meat into taco shells. I also remember seeing numerous scrapes in the bottom of the pan, aware that the bits of Teflon being scraped up were getting in our food and we were eating it. I was very unaware of why eating these pieces of Teflon was and still is dangerous (as was my mom).
Why You Should Ditch Teflon Pans
- The Teflon coatings like PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid), when heated, will break down and enter the air. Upon breathing in the Teflon PFOA fumes, people will develop a kind of sickness similar to the flu (fever, chills, sore throat, coughing) and the fumes can cause lung damage.
- PFOA also interferes with hormonal and reproductive activity, and can alter fetal development in pregnant women.
- Additionally, people’s pet birds are very impacted by exposure to the fumes, often dying after short amounts of exposure. (Like the canary in the mine, right?)
What To Use Instead
- Use cast iron or stainless steel pots and pans. You may not have the nonstick convenience, but you can feel good that you and your family (including your pets) won’t be breathing in toxic fumes while cooking your delicious breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Use caution with other nonstick items. For example, PFOA is sometimes added to the inside of microwavable popcorn bags so the popcorn doesn’t stick.
- Be aware that there are hidden dangers lurking in most “convenient” products.
Day 7 is done! Don’t you feel so much better? You’ve ditched so many things that could be harmful to you, your family, and even to your pets.
Did you enjoy this post? Please pin this image ↓
Happy Homesteading! (:
P.S. have any thoughts or questions? Tell me all the things in the comments! Also, contact us if you’d like to collab!