If there is one homesteading item that I can’t live without, it’s Diatomaceous Earth (DE)! Let me explain what it is, and all of the Diatomaceous Earth Uses~ both internally and around your homestead.
What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous Earth consists of the fossilized remains of diatoms, which are micro-organisms that were once found in the waterways around the water. These fossilized diatoms work their wonders when ingested by gently exfoliating the gut and infusing trace minerals into the body as they go. DE is also extremely helpful around your homestead (I explain why below).
If you plan to ingest Diatomaceous Earth, you need to be aware of 2 things. 1) Make sure to consult your doctor prior to starting any supplement. 2) Make sure to get food grade DE. I buy mine on Amazon.
Diatomaceous Earth Uses
Here is a beautiful list of all the bodily uses of DE!
- cleanses and strengthens the digestive tract
- supports healthy digestion
- detoxifies the body
- prevents toxicity from heavy metal exposure
- fights intestinal parasites
- reduces gas and bloating
- helps nutrients absorb better
- provides the body with trace minerals
- may improve cholesterol and heart health
- can help lower blood pressure
- improves bone health, joints, and teeth
- reduces muscle weakness
- promotes hair growth
- promotes skin health and strong nails
- helps regulate hormones
- promotes better sleep
- can help strengthen the immune system
- helps wound and burn healing
- reduces inflammation
- helps regulate diabetes
- may aid in preventing dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- exfoliate skin
- helps you look younger
- keeps skin soft and supple
- helps reduce stress and optimizes nervous system
- provides energy to your body
- helps reduce fatigue and muscle weakness
- helps to heal infection of the urinary system
- can decrease headaches and migraines
Homestead Uses of DE
- purifies water
- helps pets and farm animals fight intestinal parasites
- kills bugs on crops and herbs
- deters bugs in barns, coops, and around your home
- rids yards of fleas and ticks
How to Take DE
I have found that the easiest way to ingest DE is to add a heaping tablespoon to a smoothie. You can’t even taste it!
Do you ingest or use DE? Is there anything else to add to this list? Tell me in the comments!
Did you enjoy this post? Please pin this image ↓
Happy Homesteading! (:
P.S. have any thoughts or questions? Tell me all the things in the comments! Also, you can contact us if you’d love to collab!